Saturday, April 26, 2014

Happy Like a Child



Driving into work I saw a Mother pushing a stroller down the street.  Her 4 or 5 yr old daughter was walking with her.  While Mom huffed and puffed pushing that stroller - the kid "off leash" was having a blast.  Skipping, singing, walking along with Mom and her new sibling.  I'm noticing kids playing more and more this lately.  Unstructured, non-scheduled play.  Just "being".  I know I was like this at some point when I was that small.  I imagine everyone was.  A lifetime ago.

Not many of us are anymore.  Understandable, as we have mortgages, rent, bills, "responsibilities".  I dunno if I'm just getting older and seeing the need to "stop and smell the roses", or whatever.  But I DO seem to be seeing the need to try and find the joy that we had when we were all little.  It isn't really hard to do - it's the making yourself take the time to do it, that seems to be the problem.  The daily grind can make it hard.  Long hours.  Oppressive workplaces.  Unhappy people. Freakin' deadlines. Excuses everywhere.  We all have our own lives and obstacles that can keep us from just being happy sometimes. 

Kids. Pets. Sports. Goofy videos on Youtube.  Whatever works.  Been kinda thinking ya better figure out a way to get your head to a place like that from time to time, before it's too late.  That saying keeps echoing in my head - "Life is a journey - better enjoy it before it's over".

No comments:

Post a Comment